Why I Decided To Play For Nigeria – Iwobi

Why I Decided To Play For Nigeria – Iwobi

Like This Video 0 2361 Segun Vincent
Added by November 17, 2017

Arsenal midfielder Alex Iwobi has revealed why he chose to represent Nigeria at senior level instead of England.

The attacking midfielder inspired the Super Eagles to a 4-2 comeback win over Argentina with two well-taken goals in Tuesday’s friendly game.

Iwobi, who made his Nigeria debut in October 2015, is a former English youth international having played for the European side’s Under-16, Under-17 and Under-18 teams.

However, at senior level, the Lagos-born attacker opted to switch allegiance to the African side and has recently explained why.

“I was growing up in England and England was the only national team I knew, so I was actually very pleased to play at national level,” Iwobi told Soccer Laduma.

“However, my family are all from Nigeria, I was born in Nigeria, my uncle (Jay-Jay Okocha) is a legend in Nigeria,” the 21-year-old continued.

“That’s why I thought I would give it a chance. That’s why I went to the U23s and somehow felt more welcome, and I thought it’s where I belong, so I made the decision to switch.”

Iwobi’s lone goal helped Nigeria beat Zambia 1-0 in the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier last month and as a result, the Super Eagles booked their place in the finals.

Similar Videos

Aiyegbeni Calls Time On Football At 35

0 2863 0

Former Nigerian international Yakubu Aiyegbeni has on Tuesday retired from professional football in a career spanning 20 years. The 35-year-old striker played 250 games in the Premier League, scoring 96 goals. Aiyegbeni was released in April by League Two side

Yaya Toure Ends Int’l Retirement

0 2282 0

Manchester City star Yaya Toure has ended his international retirement, according to his agent Dimitri Seluk. The Ivorian last played for the team in September, 2016 but he has on Tuesday said he will be available for selection for the

Burna Boy And Manager Excluded From Court Papers In The Armed Robbery Case Against Them

0 2256 0

As the case against three suspects who allegedly attacked Mr 2Kay after his performance in October’s BuckwlydnBreathless concert at Eko Hotel was heard in court earlier today, Burna Boy and his manager’s names were excluded from the charge note. Joel

No Comments

No Comments Yet!

No Comments Yet!

But You can be first one to write one

Write a Comment

Your data will be safe!

Your e-mail address will not be published. Also other data will not be shared with third person.
Required fields are marked*