Amina Mohammed Denies Involvement In $300m Timber Scandal

Amina Mohammed Denies Involvement In $300m Timber Scandal

Like This Video 0 2492 Segun Vincent
Added by November 23, 2017

Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations, Amina Mohammed, has denied allegations that she was involved in the illegal export of African rosewood from Nigeria to China in a trade deal estimated to be worth $300 million.

A report on Thursday by the Washington-based Environment Investigation Agency (EIA) disclosed that the top diplomat, when she was Nigeria’s Minister of Environment, allowed export of roseword from Nigeria, despite an existing ban.

However, while speaking with The Cable, Mohammed stressed that she spent her time at the ministry working to eliminate the illegal export of the tropical hardwood used for rosewood furniture in China.

She said: ”No permits were backdated or illegally signed by me. We are therefore appalled if any legally obtained or forged certificates were used by unscrupulous rosewood traders to circumvent exportation procedures.

”Not only do I decry fraud and corruption, we also categorically reject any allegations of corruption or coercion in our effort to better address illegal logging and exportation.

”I categorically deny receiving any bribe. It has never been in my character. I never demanded neither did I collect any bribe, either cash or material.”

Mohammed said when she was appointed minister of environment in November 2015, ”one of the first issues I had to deal with was deforestation. It was a huge concern as Nigeria was losing its forest cover at an alarming rate… For me, protecting the environment is sacrosanct.

”When I was minister, one of my first acts was to tackle illegal logging. What I found on ground was alarming.”

Similar Videos

My Life In Danger, Ortom Cries Ou

0 2483 0

Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue state has alleged he received death threats following the implementation of the anti-open grazing law in the state. The law was enacted to curb farmers and herdsmen clashes but it has been met with stiff

After being jobless for months, Frank Edoho lands a new role as the host of another TV game show

0 2675 0

After 13 years of hosting popular TV show, Who Wants To Be A Million, Nigerian broadcaster Frank Edoho announced via a tweet that he’ll no longer anchor the show.   ‘Kindly allow me announce,that after a disagreement in negotiations with

Please Don’t Feel Bad Or Message Me With Any Worries- Banky W

0 2744 1

‘Scars. A sign that you had been hurt. A sign that you had been healed.” Scroll through the pictures to see mine. I’m sharing these because they’re proof of what God has brought me through. And because somewhere out there,

No Comments

No Comments Yet!

No Comments Yet!

But You can be first one to write one

Write a Comment

Your data will be safe!

Your e-mail address will not be published. Also other data will not be shared with third person.
Required fields are marked*